Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Hongwanji - Getting There

The Hongwanji Overseas meetings are in November. I had to decide when and how to get there. I decided I'll do some of my own sightseeing around Japan, so I am making it a 111-day trip.

I would have to miss a USC home football game on Nov. 3 and the Southern District ABA "Fun-Food-Friendship" on Nov. 10, for this opportunity. Oh well. Namo Amida Buddha.

Airfares are not cheap. In fact, traveling to Kansai International (which is the closest to Kyoto) from Los Angeles is about $200 more than flying to Narita (Tokyo). But since I wanted to take a side trip to the Sea of Japan coast and do some personal stuff in Tokyo, I opted to fly to and out of Narita and use a Japan Rail Pass.

The web-based prices were no different than from the traditional travel agents...at least one airline, United Air Lines, was consistent in coming up with the lowest fare, yet they charge a "fuel fee" which brought the total closer to what other airlines were charging. I ended up using JTB online to book the ticket.

I put together a quick and affordable 11-day itinerary that I'll cover in the future.

to be continued...

Gassho...

No comments: